Sunday, November 2, 2008

Thoughts on Election 2008

I am not usually one for politics. When the topic turns to politics at the dinner table, I usually tune out. They might as well broadcast one of those emergency warning tests that they play on the TV every now and then. "This is a test. This is only a test. Were this an actual emergency...

Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeepppppppppppppppppppp."


But this election is different. This election is far too important to bury my head in the sand and look the other way. Too much is at stake. The wars, the economy, the national deficit, our health care and education systems, a woman's freedom of choice! This time around, I am paying attention. I am interested.


I think I would be interested in this election regardless of being pregnant but part of my interest does stem from the fact that I am about to bring a child into the world. And like every parent before me, and every parent to come, I want the best for my child. I want her to grow up, to the extent possible, in a stable, healthy world. A stable and healthy world starts with choosing a stable and healthy leader.

I am not going to use this forum to tell you who to vote for (Obama) or who I am voting for (Obama) or why I think Sarah Palin as a VP is the scariest thing since... since...the absolute scariest thing you can possibly imagine! I'd like to - but I won't. Not here.

What I will leave you with is that by the time Grace is born, there will be an African-American or a woman in the White House! How amazing is that?! No matter your thoughts on the candidates this is an amazing turn of events for our country. Grace and all children her age will grow up not knowing any different. How that broadens one's perspective! How amazing to be a young black child and see Barack Obama as your President...and how as a young girl seeing Sarah Palin would cause you to think that someday you too could be President of the United States. (There. I did it. I found the silver lining of a McCain/Palin victory. *sigh of relief*)

No comments: