Sunday, May 9, 2010

Some Thoughts (Not My Own) on Mother's Day



Meet my silent partner, we like to get our heads together
Before I was a Mom, I never tripped over toys or words to a lullaby. I didn't worry whether or not my plants were poisonous.  I never thought about immunizations.
Crib sheet - and this hatbox beats my cradle any day
Before I was a Mom, I had never been puked on. Pooped on. Chewed on. Peed on. I had complete control of my mind and my thoughts. 
I slept all night.
Frown in the  mouth:  My  afternoon nap is  a serious business
Before I was a Mom, I never held down a screaming child so doctors could do tests. 
Or give shots. I never looked into teary eyes and cried. I never got gloriously happy over a simple grin. I never sat up late hours at night 
watching a baby sleep. 
Out on the floor: It's no struggle to snuggle up to
 a warm rug
Before I was a Mom, I never held a sleeping baby just because I didn't want to put her down. I never felt my heart break into a million pieces when I couldn't stop the hurt. I never knew that something so small could affect my life so much. I never knew that I could love someone so much. I never knew I would love being a Mom. 

Getting back to nature: Who says caterpillars can't hibernate?
Before I was a Mom, I didn't know the feeling of having my heart outside my body. I didn't know how special it could feel to feed a hungry baby. I didn't know that bond between a mother and her child. I didn't know that something so small could make me feel so important and happy.
It's a wrap: Lulled to sleep with a swaddling song
Before I was a Mom, I had never gotten up in the middle of the night every 10 minutes to make sure all was okay.I had never known the warmth, the joy, the love, the heartache, 
the wonderment or the satisfaction of being a Mom. I didn't know I was capable of feeling so much, before I was a Mom 
Prize guys: They came first in the bonnet baby contest
Before I was a mom, I didn't know that sappy email forwards with pictures of tiny newborns would stop me dead in my tracks and make me cry. 

And if you haven't shed a tear yet....

Happy Mother's Day!


No comments: