Saturday, November 20, 2010

Nothing 'Worser'

There is nothing worse than a sick kid. Nothing. Worse.


Except for a sick kid AND a sick parent...or make that two sick parents...no, wait... make that two sick parents, a sick kid AND an infant. That, my friends, is bad. In fact, there is nothing "worser"!!! 

Yes, a nasty stomach virus swept through our household this past week. It started with Grace. She threw up every 15 minutes for over eight hours. We didn't sleep a wink. Grace had never thrown up before so that scared us her. But she also didn't know the concept of vomiting into something (i.e. toilet, bucket, etc). She never really got the hang of that so instead we would try to catch the throw up as it projectiled out of her mouth. So not only did we have to clean up her clothes, our clothes and the bed/sheets/floor, now every rag towel in the house was covered in puke. The house smelled awful. WE smelled awful. I think the dogs thought the world was coming to an end. 
Then Court got sick. I was hoping I could stay healthy. After all, someone had to care for this motley crew AND attend to an infant. But alas, the virus got me. While it completely knocked me and Court out for 36 hours, it ravaged poor Grace for about 10 days.

 Grace and Daddy watching Beauty and the Beast for the 100th time - that day! 


On the 5th day, we took Grace to the doctor. (While we had been on the horn with the triage nurse at our pediatrician's office, Charlotte had her well baby check-up in the midst of all this so we just threw Grace at the doctor during that same appointment.) The pediatrician assured us that although she had not kept a morsel of food or a drop of water down in 5 days, she was 'fine.'

 Good news but not convincing. Just hard to believe she could possibly be ok when our little jumping machine sat motionless for over a week. She literally did not move a muscle. We watched Beauty and the Beast allll dayyy loonng for about a week. I think I could do a 'one-man' rendition - I know the whole movie by heart. Listening to a Disney film on repeat for a week....well, let's just say that it is enough to drive a person crazy. I literally thought I was going to have a mental breakdown if I heard "Bonjur! Bonjur! Bonjur! Bonjur! Bonjur!" one more time.

Luckily, we are all on the mend and Baby Charlotte stayed happy and healthy.
Very scary. Very exhausting. Literally, the worst week of parenthood by far. 
I have no idea how we are going to get through the rebellious teenage years!!

No comments: