Thursday, May 26, 2011

A Day for Our Record Books

Warning: I am about to bore you with milestones of my children. There, you've been warned. Now you've got no one else to blame but yourself if you keep reading.

Yesterday was a BIG day. A HUGE day! Lots of milestones and all on Charlotte's 8 month birthday!

1. Charlotte stood, unassisted, for a five count. One...Mississippi...Two...Mississippi...you get why that is a milestone for an 8 month old.

2. Charlotte slept THROUGH THE NIGHT for the second night in a row. In bed at 8 pm (thanks to Dad's magical ways!) and slept soundly until 4:30 am which for the record is a tad bit earlier than I'd like to be awake but since I am up at 5 am anyway, I think it counts! PLUS, I give her a bottle and she goes back to sleep until about 7 am. AWESOME! Guess who has time to straighten their in the mornings now?! This gal!!

3. I saved the biggest and best for last! Grace used the potty - successfully - for the very first time ever. She's had a potty for almost a year! We've talked about it. Read books about it. Sat on it. Bribed her to use it. She wanted nothing to do with it.

Enter Elmo's Potty Time Video! Probably the single most annoying thing I have ever sat through but probably the best $5 I've ever spent at Target. After watching it in the car for the umpteenth time, I decided to just sit Grace down on the potty whether she wanted to or not. She fought it. She whined. And then I said these magical words: "Elmo sits on the potty!" BOOM DYN-O-MITE! Success! (Oh yeah, and I bribed her with two M&Ms!)

After using the potty she wiped, flushed and washed her hands. We danced and high-fived. We ran to tell Daddy and Charlotte the good news and then Grace got her M&Ms. She then dragged me back into the bathroom where another successful visit to the potty was had and the entire process was repeated. Yes, even the M&Ms. She is quite crafty!

Today, we've had two more successful trips to the potty - and the day ain't over yet - but she still insists on wearing on a diaper. No pull-ups. No training pants. No underpants. So the potty hasn't been visited as often as it could of been but hey I am not complaining. I am just in jaw-dropping disbelief that I have a child who can use a potty. 

No comments: