Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Toothache

So I got the oh-so-cool night guard last week in hopes of making my aching tooth feel better. Guess what? It doesn't work. In fact, it has made things worse.

Driving home from working at Grace's school today, I just couldn't take it anymore and called the dentist's office. They were very accommodating. They could get me in to see the doctor in an hour. An hour? That's great and I but how am I supposed to find someone to watch my kids on that short of notice.

No fear she said. Bring the kids with you! Ugh...bring the who with me where?

So yep...I brought both girls with me to the dentist's office and I was sweating bullets thinking that this was  the worst idea ever...but that should put in perspective just how badly my tooth was aching.

So we arrive with snacks, iPad, books...everything but sippy cups full of water. Mind you, I got home at noon, appointment was at one, Charlotte needed to be cleaned up a bit and lunch needed to be prepared, eaten and cleaned up in that short time span so I was a bit frazzled getting us pulled together. And, of course, what did both girls want when we parked it in the waiting room at the dentist's office?

Water.

Luckily, the dentist was ready for us so back we all went to the room. I needed x-rays so the girls couldn't be in the room when all this happened and after Grace's meltdown at ballet I was pretty nervous at the fact that a stranger, dressed in scrubs from head-to-toe with a mask and googles, was going to successfully take Grace into another room without some kind of scene. Charlotte and to my utter, draw-dropping surprise, Grace, both skipped off with the masked stranger and never looked back.

Ten minutes later, the girls were back. And I quickly learned why all went so well. Balloons. The office had given each girl a balloon and that made them ecstatic. Ahhh yes, when in doubt....bribery!

Finally, after some hee-hawing over my x-ray, the dentist needed to get in my mouth and take a look around. So I laid back in the chair as both girls stood in the corner of the room with their balloons.

As soon as the dentist put his little mirror in my mouth, my sweet little baby Charlotte lost it. She kept screaming "Mommy, Mommy Mommy!" We quickly scooped her up and placed her on my stomach - with her balloon in hand - so the examination could continue. Then Grace wanted to be in the action so we put her on a swivel chair and wheeled her up close. The dentist was beyond patient.

After all the poking and prodding, they still don't know what is wrong. I am going back to the endodontist on Thursday - without the girls - for some other tests. I can't begin to explain how much my tooth hurts at this very moment. Throbbing. Throbbing. Throbbing. Like a heartbeat of throbbing. I don't know how I am going to sleep tonight.

But before I attempt a "good night" one more quick thing I forgot to mention. While I was in the chair, upside down, with Charlotte on my lap and Grace at my side, Grace kept stroking my arm, hand and face. She told me "everything is going to be ok Mommy. Take your time. I'll be right here."

It was darling and it did make me feel better. 

No comments: