Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Recovery for Grace AND Charlotte

After Grace's surgery, we were visited by Court's brother's family.
Balloons (and chocolate) make everything better!







We have been amazed at how well Grace has done with her recovery. She has been so bubbly and happy. You know, preparing for surgery - especially surgery on your child - really weighs heavy on your heart. You worry. You hear horrible stories. You think about the what-ifs. And then you kiss them goodbye and they are wheeled into the operating room...everything in motion...but you. You are helpless. Dependent on whatever is to come. Dependent on the unknown.

You rarely think about the benefits of surgery. The reasons you are making this leap of faith and surrendering all control. Most likely because you don't want to jinx yourself. You don't want to assume an outcome and like my dad always says, "Hope for the best; prepare for the worst."

We were so worried about how she would feel waking up with casts. How she'd feel different from others. Her pain. Her immobility for six weeks. And while we are not out of the woods yet....we still have five and half weeks to go - Grace's overall happiness leads us to believe that this surgery has been a relief! A relief from being "different." A relief from being constantly challenged by gravity. A relief from "keeping up." It may have even relieved pain or exhaustion that would likely go hand-in-hand with walking on your toes - all day, everyday, for years, that we didn't know about or understand because how can a four year old explain pain when it is her "normal." Think about it! Try walking on your toes for five minutes and you'll know what I am talking about.

 "Like a rainbow after the rainthere's always a good thing after the pain." 



Regardless, we are beyond grateful that this experience has gone as well as it has and thankful that we took a leap of faith.

Changing the subject...Grace was given a chance to take some pictures with my phone...




I don't think Charlotte wears her emotions on her sleeve at all! hahah

Grace's recovery has been the hardest for Charlotte. Attention and gifts being showered on Grace. Her playmate unable to play. Getting in trouble anytime she gets too rough or gets too close to Grace's legs and big girl cups of liquid (around Grace) are out of the question.
In spite of all that, she has done a fantastic job of helping.
She jumps out of bed (about 30 times a night) to fetch whatever Grace needs to fall asleep. 
Charlotte, will you get me a new book? 
Charlotte, will you bring me that doll?
Charlotte, I dropped my blankie on the floor, will you get it for me?
Charlotte, without grimace or gripe, dutifully jumps at Grace's call. 

Two nights ago, I was listening to them in their room as Grace asked Charlotte to do a favor for the  umpteenth time.
Finally, Charlotte had had it and in a tone similar to one I use a lot and mimicking words I use a lot, Charlotte said, "Grace, this is the last time I am doing this for you. I'm tired and want to go to sleep!"

Made me laugh.
So glad they have each other. 

Last night, Charlotte dodged the bullet of being Grace's servant by falling asleep at six! She even skipped dinner in order to get some uninterrupted shut eye.

Like I said, I think that all this has been hardest on Charlotte!



1 comment:

Amy said...

Glad to hear things went well with the surgery, and best of luck for a speedy recovery! The hardest moments for me thus far in my life as a parent have been the times I have had to watch my children be put under and then wheeled away and then all I had to do was WAIT for them to come out of surgery.Broken femur (age 2 1/2), and ruptured appendix (age 10). It is the scariest thing EVER. So, my heart goes out to you. I know how tough it can be. Hang in there! And I think you're right, it can be much harder on the child not getting the attention, no matter the circumstances.